The world’s economy is evolving in support of freelance. As the number of professionals prefers to be self-employed and the employers seeking skilled manpower for part-time or project-based employment only is increasing, so is the rise of freelance companies offering services for both. It is imperative that you know which online platform can serve you best regardless of what position you take – freelancer or employer.
It is a total waste of investment once you sign up to the wrong freelance company. Factors such as services and features, profile approval method, project management, pricing policy, billing method are critical information that must be taken into consideration.
The Upwork and PeoplePerHour are both global freelance marketplaces that are popular in bridging and collaborating remotely employers and freelancers. Searching for Upwork reviews sometimes has positive and negative impressions from other people, the same with PeoplePerHour reviews. Instead of relying on other opinions, knowing them yourself is highly recommended.
Overview of the Two Freelance Marketplaces
Upwork, previously known as Elance-oDesk is a global freelance marketplace that has the widest coverage in terms of job categories and the number of employers and online job seekers. In February 2019, Upwork ranks top 2 (second to Fiverr) to most popular freelance as released by Finances Online.
Upwork has the most streamlined platform that ensures an efficient, safe and fraud-free working application.
Upwork jobs are in various fields ranging from software development to Analytics, Legal and Accounting, and more.
Peopleperhour is a UK-based online platform founded in 2007 providing diverse freelance talent to enterprises. It implements a meticulous screening of freelancer’s application to ensure freelance integrity. A recent survey ranks Peopleperhour to #5 in the most popular freelance platforms as published by Finances Online last February 2019.
Since 2007, PPH has 1 million projects completed, $161 million worth of projects done, and reached 186 countries. It is the leading freelance marketplace in Europe with over 1.6 million active members worldwide.
Similar to Upwork, there are various Peopleperhour jobs on different categories posted on the platform.
Brief assessment to match Upwork to PeoplePerHour:
|The scope of Job Offers||Upwork jobs under more than 17 job categories, from short-term tasks to full-time contract work; from entry level to expert.||Peopleperhour jobs under 15 job categories from entry level to expert; from hourlies to long term job||Upwork|
|Freelancer Selection Procedure||Meticulous sorting of best talents. Employer’s can set-up an interview with prospective talent before hiring||Detailed assessment and approval of freelancer’s profiles during sign up||Upwork|
|Platform Login, Project Acquisition, and Management||Better outsourcing scheme of talent by the client, flexible working platform.||Comparatively lenient outsourcing scheme of talent by the client, the dashboard is a bit confusing for first time user||Upwork|
|Service Fees||Expensive||Less expensive||PeoplePerHour|
|List of special features||Has 12 essential features||Has 13 essential features||PeoplePerHour|
|Membership plans||Has 2 plans||Has free plan plus 4 optional plans||PeoplePerHour|
|Billing options||Less billing option compared to PPH||More billing options||PeoplePerHour|
|Platform User Reviews||Better score on the smart score, positive social media mentions, and overall user’s rating||A relatively lower score on the smart score, positive social media mentions, and overall user’s rating||Upwork|
The Scope of Job Offers
There are many categories to choose when looking for Upwork jobs. The platform is easy to manage, it allows the user to narrow down searches per job category and job type – hourly or long term, entry level or highly technical projects.
Similar to Upwork, PeoplePerHour jobs has many options that can be filtered for an easy search.
The Upwork platform has a better presentation of its choices while Peopleperhour is a bit confusing for first time user. Also, there are more Upwork jobs in each category compared to Peopleperhour Jobs.
Freelancer Selection Procedure
Upwork Profile Approval
The process of getting an Upwork account as a freelancer includes meticulous Upwork profile review and approval. An applicant must sign up to the Upwork site, comply with the requirements and meet the standard set by Upwork in order to be accepted.
- Create a 100% complete and accurate Upwork profile.
- Showcase the strengths that can relate you to the relevant Upwork jobs
- Post a professional photo
- Emphasize your expertise in the title and overview
- Feature your skills by posting your best work in the portfolio
- Highlight your experience with certifications
- Include your employment history with a concise description of your functions and accomplishments that can relate you to the in-demand Upwork jobs you want to engage
- Provide a detail description of relevant educations with the institution’s name and program
- Complete and pass the Upwork Skill Tests on the platform
- Authenticate your Upwork profile account by connecting it to your professional and social network
- Provide a copy of verification documents such as a government-issued ID
- Complete verification process via video call with an Upwork agent
Note that admission to Upwork is very competitive. It takes an approved Upwork profile before you can access Upwork login and view Upwork jobs to start your career as a freelancer.
PeoplePerHour Profile Approval
Similar to Upwork, PeoplePerHour also implements screening of the applicant’s profile to ensure they met the minimum requirement to be a PPH talent or freelancer. A new user of the PPH platform has the option to sign up using Facebook or LinkedIn accounts or create another account. In order to be approved, an applicant must:
- Complete personal information, attach authentic profile picture and upload your CV or best work in the portfolio.
- List down your skills; the more the better
- Market your experiences by linking your profile account to your other websites and other social or professional networks
- Choose your site preference: on-site or remote
- Add more details to market your skills and capability. Attach the copy of your certifications or awards received to increase your chance to be approved
As soon as you’ve completed the above-listed requirements, you will be notified about your application is under review. Once approved, you can now view PeoplerPerHour jobs posting and send the proposal.
The Upwork profile verification is stricter in terms of screening and approval of the profiles of applicants compared to PeoplePerHour. This platform, therefore, has better stand in preventing fake individuals or scammer from getting into the business.
Platform Login, Project Acquisition, and Management
Upwork Login and Project Management
Here’s the entire work process of getting a project in Upwork:
- Upwork Login
A freelancer with an approved profile can now access to the platform anytime through Upwork login. It simply requires you to key in your registered username or email and password. An Upwork member, either freelancer looking for online jobs or client who wants to post a job or find skilled freelancer has to go to same Upwork Login to start making business.
Upwork has security measures in place to protect member’s account at Upwork login.
- Codes (six-digit) sent to phone or email
A member, however, has the option to disable phone verification.
- Find the Right Project
After Upwork login, a member can now proceed to search for a job. Aside from directly looking to posted jobs to apply for, in Upwork there is a way for a freelancer to get updates on the right projects by:
- Choose one or more skills that match to you in the search bar
- Find a more-specific skill that match you in the filter on the left side
- After setting, add to Job Feed in order to get an updated list of projects that match your preference
- Bid for a project.
A freelancer in Upwork has to bid for a chosen project to apply. Each Upwork job or project posted in the platform may require 1 to 5 connects per bid. Connects are like tokens needed in order to bid. By default, a new freelancer in Upwork has 60 connects as a free user. There is an option to upgrade to Plus plan and get an additional 10 connects. This Plus plan costs $10 monthly. Unused connects on Plus plan can be kept and roll over to the next month.
- Send the proposal.
When bidding, you send a proposal to convince the employer that you are the best choice to do the project successfully.
- Close the deal
Once shortlisted, you will be notified by the client to undergo an interview and/or evaluation tests in order to further determine your qualification to the project. This interview will be set-up by the client via Skype, Upwork’s in-app messaging, or on phone.
NOTE: The first 3 steps can be skipped when a client has reached you to offer the project. Once you accept the offer, a contract can be created right away on Upwork.
- Kick Off Meeting
A final meeting between you and the client will be set-up before the start of the project. This is to finalize the details of your contract such as payment agreement, working scheme, deadline, and other matters related to the project.
There are two types of contracts in Upwork – hourly and project-based contracts.
- Hourly Contracts
The payment under this contract is based on the hour of work. Upwork has an application called Team app that can be used to log hours of work and ensure payment to the freelancer. Both the client and the freelancer can review the time logs on the Team app. Payment under this contract is 10 days after the billing ends (every Sunday).
- Project-based Contracts
The payment under this contract is a fixed value for a job delivered. Upwork makes use of escrow and milestone-based payment where the client will prefund each milestone to the escrow. The money will be held in the Upwork platform and will be released to the freelancer’s account once the milestone or the project is completed.
Upwork platform is equipped with applications used in order to effectively manage the freelancer’s time logs, payment, communications, record keeping, and others. These Upwork applications are also available for clients.
- Mobile Upwork App for iPhone or Android. This is for freelancer and client alike, in order to make them connected to Upwork anywhere and anytime.
- Upwork Desktop App designed for payment protection by effective time logging of working hours (for hourly contracts). Also tracks fixed-price contracts for fixed-price protection.
- Upwork Messenger is chat-based communication.
A contract is closed once you delivered the finished product of the project or completed the number of hours required by your client.
PeoplePerHour Login and Project Management
Here’s how a freelancer can engage in a project using the Peopleperhour platform:
- PeoplePerHour login.
After signing up and getting approval from the PPH administrator, a freelancer can access into the project through PPH login.
A member, either a freelancer or client get into same PeoplePerHour login. Also, a member can access its pph account using its social and professional network Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Find the right Project and apply to the PeoplePerHour jobs.
There are two ways a freelancer in PPH can gain access to the posted Peopleperhour jobs:
- PPH matches you automatically to the most suitable project base on your skills as uploaded in your profile information.
- Manual search of jobs in the PPH platform.
Once a freelancer has chosen a project, a proposal or quote can be sent to apply for the job and persuade the client that you are the best choice to work on the project. A freelancer is entitled to 15 free quotes every month.
- Post an Offer
In PPH, freelancers can sell their expertise or skill at their own price.
- Close the deal.
The client will contact you directly after accepting your proposal and choose you to do the project.
- Communicate via PPH Workstream
The PPH has a tool called Workstream where all transactions, agreements, payments, and other activity between client and freelancer must take place.
- Make your own quote
Once a project has been awarded to the freelancer, PPH platform allows a freelancer to quote realistic budget and attainable milestones. When a client approves the quote, the amount will be transferred to Escrow. The payment will be released by the PPH to the freelancer’s account after the project has been completed and the client is satisfied with the product.
The PeoplePerHour has two types of contracts with freelancers – Hourlies and Project-based contracts. The hourlies are quick hires to work for one or a few hours only. On the other hand, the project-based contract requires long-term or as per contract engagement of freelancer to complete the project.
Regardless of which contract, PeoplePerHour has an easy invoicing plan. The amount funded by the client in the escrow can be transferred to your account after the project has been completed. The freelancer can decide when and what value the PPH will transfer to your account. Instantly, the client will be notified and asked to give approval to your request. Once the client authorizes the payment, PPH will then move the amount from escrow account to your PPH account.
A client has a better chance to hire a qualified freelancer in the Upwork platform compare to PeoplePerHour due to its stricter screening process that includes an interview by the client itself. Also, Upwork apps make it a better platform for the user’s flexibility and accessibility compared to PeoplePerHour.
- Service Fees
How Upwork Charges a Freelancer?
Either freelancer is working on an hourly or project-based contract; Upwork is charging a percentage of your income.
How PeoplePerHour Charges a Freelancer?
The Peopleperhour will charge a freelancer certain percentage from the earnings and additional fees incurred from processing the account.
- PPH Service Fee is the percentage paid on your invoice paid by the client
- Payment Processing Fee is the amount deducted when you withdraw to the bank or any withdrawal method you choose.
Also, there are optional fees in case a freelancer will decide to buy some featured proposals offered by PPH.
The PeoplePerHour is charging fewer fees to a freelancer compared to Upwork.
- Special Features
List of Upwork’s features are:
- Upwork reviews, feedback sharing or forums
- Desktop Upwork app to assure payments for hourly projects
- Work Diary (under Desktop Upwork App) to check completion of work for hourly contracts
- International payment system
- Payment Security for both client and freelancer
- Upwork pro-service to pre-vet the best professionals to client
- Provide results of the skill test of the shortlisted freelancer to client
- Mobile Upwork app that supports video conferencing, chat messaging and file sharing
- Badge and benefits to top-rated freelancers and agencies (with two or more team members)
- Escrow protection to secure client’s fund in case of a problem with the chosen freelancer
- Customized profile URL’s (available to Plus membership plans)
- Option to hide earnings (available to Plus membership plans)
List of PeoplePerHour features are:
- Free job posting
- Free contest posting
- The local freelance information bank
- The global freelance information bank
- Organized Account Management dashboard to monitor project progress, project history, and messaging
- Fixed price freelancers for client’s budget advantage
- Escrow protection to secure employer’s fund in case of issue with the chosen freelancer
- Enterprise solutions for large businesses
- Mediation services in case of a dispute between client and freelancer
- Hourlies option for the freelancer
- A featured proposal in order to place your bid on the top list
- Periodic notification of jobs that suits the freelancer’s skills
- Affiliate program for members of Peopleperhour to earn cash by inviting people to join Peopleperhour.
PeoplerPerHour has more features compared to Upwork.
Upwork’s Membership Plan
A freelancer can subscribe to either FREE or PLUS membership plans. The basic or free membership plan has access to all functionality of the Upwork platform. The plus or paid membership plan has additional benefits that can be used by freelancer or agency. The plans can be modified anytime to suit your needs in the future.
- Freelancer Basic Plan
This plan is free and has the following benefits:
- Upwork sign-up to complete profile account and Upwork login
- 60 connects per month
- Unrestricted invitation to projects
- Payment Protection
- Freelancer Plus Plan
This plan has a $10 fee per month and has the following benefits:
- All benefits in the Freelancer Basic Plan
- 10 extra connects per month (total of 70)
- Rolling privilege to carry over unused connects to the next monthly billing cycle
- Freedom to purchase extra connects
- Visibility into other’s bidding to the contract
- Customize profile URL
- Option to conceal income
PeoplePerHour’s Membership Plan
In the PeoplePerHour, there are extra features that can be availed in order to increase the chance of getting a project aside from the free plan.
- It is free to sign-up and promotes your offers on PPH, including:
- Posting a complete profile
- Posting Offers
- Sending up to 15 proposal credits per month
- A freelancer can purchase Extra Proposal Credits at corresponding prices:
- Featured Proposals can be purchased in order to highlight your proposal
- A Featured Offers can be purchased in order to:
- list your proposal on the top bid
- 7 days feature of your offer
- A Freelancer Qualification Period Extension. By default, a new freelancer has 3 months qualifying period to make 2 projects or earn a total of £100 with average feedback of not less than 4 in order to maintain access to Freelancer’s features. The qualification period can be extended by purchasing:
Note that these extra featured proposals of PeoplePerHour are just optional in case a freelancer would like to increase the probability of winning more projects.
The PeoplePerHour has more membership options and less expensive compared to Upwork.
Upwork Billing Methods
Upwork is accepting payments from the client using the following methods:
- Credit Card such as:
- American Express
The currency to which the credit and debit card will be charged is base on the local currency of the billing address of the client.
- A confirmed PayPal Account.
- A US bank account is accepted for US-based clients only.
PeoplePerHour Billing Methods
The PeoplePerHour platform supports incorporation with other electronic payment systems:
- Credit/Debit Card
- Qiwi Wallet
- Union Pay
The PeoplePerHour is open to more and safer billing methods compared to Upwork.
Platform User Reviews
Upwork reviews base on independent review platforms is the most reliable source in order to get data that can tell platform performance base on user’s opinions and reviews. Let’s have a video review from Youtube.
Data published by Finances Online gives Upwork reviews 100% Customer Satisfaction with 65 positive social media mentions and 0 negative social media mentions. Also, it has a smart score of 9.7 from user’s rating on nine evaluating components (main functionality, collaboration features, customization, integration, ease of use, general impression, support, security, and mobility).
Another review platform, Trust pilot, released 2019 data about Upwork reviews stating 67% of users rate Upwork as excellent, 23% rate it as bad, 5% rate it as great, 3% poor and 2% as average.
Similar to Upwork, PeoplerPerHour reviews from third party agents are considered to be the reliable and most scientific way to judge the platform’s performance base on the user’s review or opinions. A video is here to guide you.
2019 data published by Finances Online gives PeoplerPerHour reviews 100% user satisfaction rate with 18 positive social mentions and 0 negative social mentions. More, it has a smart score of 9.3 from user’s rating on nine evaluating components (main functionality, collaboration features, customization, integration, ease of use, general impression, support, security, and mobility).
In addition, Trust pilot has 2019 result of PeoplePerHour reviews stating 54% of users rate it as excellent, 29% rate it as bad, 9% rate it as great, 4% as average, and 4% as poor.
Upwork has a better performance base on the smart score, positive social media mentions, and overall user’s rating.
Hope you were able to make an informed decision by now on which platform to join based on the parameters discussed above , also in case you are wondering, if 2019 is the right time to start freelancing, then you should read our views and tips on the same. Feel free to comment and share your views so as we all could add value together to this drive of “Empowering Freelancing”.